Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Social Questions


Usually my posts are quite personal, but lately my thoughts are focused on the world around me. I'm thinking of Japan and humanity's use of nuclear power. I'm thinking of Libya and our use of force.  I'm looking around and wondering about the evolution of humanity.

It's not as if there aren't things going on for me personally. My life is a continual thread of spiritual, emotional, or physical development. It just seems trivial these days compared to the macrocosm.

A friend reminded me recently that the external world is a reflection of our collective inner worlds. What we see on the outside that seems destructive is the shadow of humanity. Ya know, I realize this is true, but the thought made me a bit exhausted. I've been actively embracing and integrating my shadow for over a decade. It's a not a pretty endeavor. Ghandi said "be the change you wish to see in the world." I'm trying. Actually, that's me being self-deprecating. (Didn't Yoda say something like, "Do not try. Do."?)  I think I am doing a decent job of being the change I wish to see.  It just doesn't feel enough. 

I'm trusting I will have the wisdom to see me through the waves of it all.  Will I balance inner and outer focus?  Will I balance doing the "work" (both internally and externally) with just relaxing and taking joy in being alive?  Will I be able to embrace humanity with all its darkness as well as myself and my own shadow?  These are the personal questions the events of the outside world bring to me.

2 comments:

  1. Yoda is genius:)
    The world is a dark place, but the work each of us does collectively pierces that darkness. I am not sure we will ever know the impact of our acts of kindness and just showing love.
    What you are already doing matters.
    In the end, love overcomes evil, even if we aren't around to see it.

    ReplyDelete