Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Don't Let Those Creative Ideas Die!

If ideas that never got to see the light of day were pieces of garbage, our entire world would look like the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.  It turns out that receiving creative inspiration is the easy part.  It takes dedication and practical engagement to bring life to a creative idea. 

After the inspired morning I wrote about in my Creative Inspiration post, I came home and processed W2s for my business.  Because I am on sabbatical, I've cancelled my computerized payroll service.  Which means I found myself hand writing seven W2s and all the necessary copies.  If that's not an inspirational buzz kill, I don't know what is!

In this lifetime, I've killed-by-neglect at least a small city's worth of unbirthed inspirations.  I've also labored to manifest some of my brainchildren, and have an understanding of what it takes me to bring them forth.  Here are a few things I've learned along the way.

photo by mayhem
http://mayhem-chaos.net/
 Creative ideas love immediate attention.
If I wait too long to begin a project, the thrill peters out.  That doesn't necessarily mean I won't complete the project, but the burst of energy that could have propelled me into it is lost.  The project's energy becomes slow--more earthy and less fiery.  That solidity is a requirement later in the creation, but in the beginning, the initial spark must be encouraged. 

Attention to detail is an important factor. 
Details are like the tiny pieces of tinder I put onto the spark to get the fire started. They are good at any stage in the project.  I don't have the habit of getting bogged down in details, so this one is easy for me to say.  I know some people who spend so much time on details, they never complete the project.  So I admit it requires a balance.  I just know that when I'm beginning a project, if I jot down a detail that interests me, it serves as an enticement to continue so I can eventually get back to that little tidbit.

Talking about a creative idea before it's under development is a good way to kill it.
This may seem counter intuitive, but I've found the more I talk about an idea early on, the less likely I am to implement it.  The best reason I've come up for this has to do with the great internal feeling of inspiration.  If I perceive the feelings in my body when I'm inspired, the energy is intoxicating.  I think it's the promise of more of this feeling that propels me into working on the project.  The hits of excitement as I bring one small part of the project into reality are enough to keep me hooked.   However, when I talk about the idea, I get a big hit of the good feeling all at once.  After I've finished talking about the idea to everyone I can, I'm kinda bored with it.  It doesn't arouse me anymore.  I've taken what I can get out of it in terms of the "hit" and am less motivated to then do the grunt work.

Thinking about what other people will think of the idea usually hurts more than it helps.
We all know that we need to follow our passions for ourselves, not for others.  Yet, it can be tempting to think about an "audience" when being creative.  Sometimes I find myself fantasizing about how much other people will like my idea and it's temporarily encouraging (even though imaginary!).  Other times, I find myself contracting around the thought that I am once again out of step with the rest of the world and that no one will like my idea.  Alright, I get it!  Both ends of the spectrum are nonsense.  Just self-reference and it'll be fine!

Actually, it's OK to let creative ideas die.
Let's face it, there's no way we could do justice to all the creative ideas bouncing around in our heads in a lifetime.  So it's prudent not to follow up on all of them.  But for the sake of passion, engagement, fulfillment, and plain ol' making this world a better place, start a few creative fires.  Tend them until you get a nice warm bonfire and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment